Thursday, February 11, 2010

Garlic-Soy Japanese Eggplant


If you're on a gluten-free diet, then you probably know about San-J soy sauce, because as far as I know, it's the only one readily available. Luckily, that's not entirely true. Cormier's Gold makes soy-based gluten free stir-fry sauces that are seriously amazing. I can easily go through a bottle per week of the ginger/garlic sauce, though the double garlic, orange teriyaki and jalapeno sauces are also fantastic. I actually used some of this sauce to stir-fry the shiitake mushrooms for my super-fancypants summer rolls, which I submitted for entry into the MasterChef competition. Apparently, I have a face for radio (or so the supermodel-esque judge would have me believe), but the rolls themselves got a 5/5 for taste.

Cormier's Gold is only available in the New England area, as far as I know, but I am hopefully going to work with Mr. Cormier to get the wonder-sauce the national exposure it deserves. Okay, enough sucking up--onto the recipe

Ingredients:
1 Japanese eggplant per person
1 tsp crushed ginger
1 small pinch crushed hot pepper
oil for stir-frying (I prefer sesame), about 1tbsp
1 cup Cormier's Gold ginger/garlic stir-fry sauce
2/3 cup water per eggplant

Directions

Cut the eggplants lengthwise, and then cut horizontally into small half-moon pieces.
Heat a frypan on medium-high, and add the oil.
Add the eggplant and stirfry until the oil is absorbed, the eggplant gets a little soft and you start to see it begin to brown.
Add the water, ginger and hot pepper. Continue cooking until water is absorbed.
Add the Cormier's gold sauce, and toss until all the eggplant is coated.

No comments:

Post a Comment