Friday, December 11, 2009

Happy Hanukkah! Gluten Free Latke Recipe


In honor of Hanukkah (and the fact that I did an hour-long nia workout and therefore absolutely need to make back the calories I've burned off), tonight I made gluten free latkes!

Latkes (serves 6-8 or 4 gluttons)

3 russet potatoes
1 sweet onion
3 eggs (you can use egg whites, but really, c'mon, you're already about to eat a potato latke soaked in oil, so what's a little extra caloric intake from the yolk going to do?)
1/4 cup gluten free breadcrumbs (I use Dr. Schar brand--so far it's the best of the ones I've tried)
salt
pepper
oil (I use olive, but it doesn't really matter)

Grate the potatoes and onion. I use a food processor, because I'm lazy, but if you really want to be an authentic "balabuste", then grate everything by hand. This way, you can gain looks of sympathy from your family as you sigh loudly, "Oy, the grating! It is so exhausting and my hands are so dry! Oh no, don't get up on my account. You know I suffer like this because I love you."

Take the grated potatoes and onion and squeeze out all the water. It's probably better to do this over a garbage can if you don't have a garbage disposal, because inevitably you'll get potato shreds everywhere.

In a bowl with the now-dried potato and onion mixture, add the eggs, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper and mix until thoroughly blended. You can use a fork for the mixing if the idea of sticking your hands into an eggy-crumby-potato-y mess grosses you out.

Fill a frying pan with the oil, about an inch or so high. Heat the oil on medium high. When the oil is nice and hot, form handfuls of the latkes, and drop them one at a time into the frying pan. Press down on them a little with a spatula to flatten them. Cook for about 4-5 minutes, or until the bottom is golden brown. Then, turn them over and cook the other side (probably 2-3 minutes). Place the cooked latkes on a plate lined with paper towels.

Enjoy!

Then, get someone else to do the cleanup. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment